1) The Religious Complex is located in Old Cairo area where it contains various churches and mosques in addition to “synagogue” Jewish Temple that is so near to the historical mosque of Amr Ibn El ‘Aas.
2) The Religious Complex area is characterized by containing historic and religious shrines of the three religions that were in Egypt as we can find the Coptic Museum and the Hanging Church with all its history and originality which was built at the top of Babylon Fort in addition to that the church of Mary Girgis is located next to it.
3) The church of Abu Serga is located too in this area as the place was honored with the presence of t Jesus ” prophet peace upon him” and his mother during their flee trip from the brutality of Herod”, the king of the Jews and that was inside the holy grotto that’s why a lot of visitors from different denomination in the world interested to visit it. It was mentioned in the history of the church that its original name is Sergius and Aches who were both soldiers and they were martyred in Syria in the reign of emperor “Maximian”.
4) Saint Barbra Church also is located in the area, it is considered one of the most beautiful Coptic Church, and it was built during the late of 14th century as it was dedicated to Saint Barbra who was born in the beginning of the 3rd century A.D also she converted to be Christian by the help of Oreganse the Egyptian clergyman and she refused to marry in order to devote her entire life for her religion. She was martyred during the reign of the emperor Maximian after blaming her father for worshipping pagan so he became angry and he killed her.
5) There is A nunnery for Girls in the area where a lot of Christians went to take the blessings of the owner of the monastery especially people with neurological and mental diseases ,the monastery is characterized by its wonderful design also there is a carved stone statue of St. Mary Girgis killing the dragon with his spear .
6) The Mosque of Amr Ibn el ‘Aas was built in 21 A.H, it is considered the largest and oldest mosques in Africa as well as some Sahaba participated in its design like Abu Dharr al Ghafari. The mosque during the beginning of the Islamic Conquest of Egypt was completely different from now as it was without minarets or any kind of decorations whether inside or outside besides the prayer niche was flat and painted on the wall without its hollow part ,but throughout ages expansions and renovations had been made.
7) The Babylon Fort is characterized by being between Upper and Lower Egypt consequently it was built in order to protect the Roman Military purposes and to be the first defense line for the eastern gate of Egypt also to prevent the revolutions that were against the Roman rule from the north and south sides .The Fort also named as “Babylon Citadel” or the “Palace of the Wax” .Inside the Fort, there are some historical and Coptic monuments like the Coptic Museum and 6 churches and one Monastery.
8) The Coptic Museum was built in 1910 by Marcus Simaika Pasha; it houses more than 16000 artifacts as it was divided according to its era throughout the Coptic history.
9) Kasriet El Rayhan Church was built in the beginning of the 4th century A.H also it was known as the “Virgin Marry Church”, during the reign of Al Hakim B’amr Allah ,the Roman tried to possess the Hanging Church with the help of the Roman king ‘s mother ,but the Copts objected such decision ,but Al Hakim gave them Kasriet El Rayhan Church instead of it , later the Copts retrieved it .
10) The Synagogue or the Jew Temple is completing the three religions in the Religious Complex as it was originally a temple then it was converted to a church until the reign of Ahmed Ibn Tulun, later it was bought by the Jewish denomination so it was retuned to be a temple again besides the temple is known as “Ibn ‘Ezra “, the leader of the Jewish community at that time.
By: Enas Salah